Just a quick one today as I have been asked for this recipe quite a bit recently, so here goes:
Ingredients, Mince :
- 800g Lean Beef Steak Mince
- 1 Small red onion diced
- 1 Small white onion diced
- 3 Carrots grated
- 4-6 Cloves of garlic chopped or crushed ( reduce or increase garlic to your own taste)
- 2 Tins chopped tomatoes
- ½ – 1 Tube tomato puree
- Worcestershire sauce
- Dried oregano
- Dried basil
- Sweat the onions, carrot & garlic in the pan for a few minutes until softened.
- Add the mince, and combine well with the garlic, onion & carrot and cook over a medium heat until cooked through.
- Add aprox. 1-2 tsp of Worcestershire sauce and crumble in the oxo cube. Stir well.
- Add the tinned tomatoes, about half of the tomato puree and leave to simmer gently.
- Sprinkle in the dried herbs and stir well.
- Leave on a really low heat while you make the white sauce, stirring occasionally.
Ingredients, Bechamel Sauce:
- 3oz Butter ( unsalted)
- 3oz Plain Flour
- 1 & ½ Pints of milk
- Put the butter and flour in the pan and melt over a very low heat, stirring until you form a rue.
- Remove from the heat and gradually stir in half of the milk.
- Return to a med heat and add the rest of the milk, stirring continuously.
- Add salt & pepper to taste.
- Keep stirring until the sauce has reached your desired consistency ( I like it like good custard – not too runny, not too thick).
- Switch off heat and assemble lasagne as quickly as possible.
I use aprox 8 sheets of fresh lasagne for the following construction:
- Cover the bottom of the lasagne dish with a good layer of mince.
- Cover with Lasagne sheets ( you may need to trim them to fit, which is easy done with scissors or by folding)
- Pour over one third of the bechamel sauce and spread to cover all the pasta.
- Repeat the mince, pasta, sauce and then repeat again.
- Top with grated cheese and black pepper.
- Pop in the oven for about 20 mins on gas 7.